So we came home from the SAINTS fund raiser (and) on Saturday night to discover that something had happened to our internet connection. I didn’t think much of it as it was late and thought I would deal with it in the morning. I was thinking Shaw was just down and it would be fixed by the morning. Well, that was not the case. So, restarted the modem several times, restarted my computer and nothing. So I called them. We go through the usual questions about is it on a splitter, blah, blah, blah. I told him I had already restarted it several times and nothing. The bottom line was that they would have to send someone out and the earliest appointment they had was Wednesday. He asked if that was ok and I said no, I was not sure we could live without internet that long. Meanwhile Deb is asking me a bunch of questions that I could not know the answer to – like “could an animal have chewed through it?” I don’t freaking know!!! In all fairness, she did fix it the last time they said we were going to have to go days without internet. It involved a lot of duct tape as I recall but she got it to work.

At one point the tech suggested that we try the modem in a cable connection that works to make sure it was not the modem because then we could swap the modem out if it was broken. One minor problem – no Shaw outlets would be open until Tuesday – so this was only marginally better. I told him I would try the modem out in another outlet and call them back to cancel the appointment if it was the modem. Then he asks me if it is ok if he sends me an email confirmation of the appointment!!! I asked him how the hell I was supposed to get it?? He didn’t have an answer. I thought it was quite amusing.

Anyway, we had a bunch of errands to do. When we got home I tested the modem in the living room and it worked fine. Then the brain started to work. My first thought was attaching a splitter to the cable in the living room and figuring out how much co-axial cable we would need to run to my office (a hell of a lot is all I can say). Then I came up with the solution. I set up the network in the living room with the laptop and voila we now have internet again. I am not sure what we would have done without for several days.

The other ironic thing was my mother called me in the middle of setting up our alternative network to tell me that her connection was down and could I fix it for her (she is in Calgary and on Telus). I told her we were down to and my plan to fix ours. She said “you are all sure addicted to the internet can’t you wait until Wednesday??” As she was hanging up she said she was going to call Telus to get her connection up. I think the irony was lost on her.

And for the record, Deb and Angelina are as addicted as I am!!!

2 thoughts on “My name is Chris and I am an Internet Addict…

  1. If it can’t be fixed with WD40 or duct tape, it’s time to think about humae disposal.

    Yes, this Dykley Dyke fixed the damn cable last year, and much gratitude was heaped on my head.

    This year, I, as the reighning cable-rangling Dyke, felt that I was due some respect by the peons, and having the Queen Geek at my mercy, I asked a few pertinent questions.

    My dear Christine is lovely, talented and intelligent, but tactful and patient, not so much.

    So I asked the obvious questions: :birds on roof, mice in the walls, dogs with too much time on their paws? She acted like I wanted her to be a contestant on “Are you smarter than a fifth grader” or something. Take a pill next time, dear”I really only know software”.

    Schmuck! Cute, but still a schmuck. O)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s