I am so happy January is over. I hate January. Here, in no particular order, are the reasons I hate January:
1. January begins the long period of no statutory holidays (for most of Canada) until Good Friday. This is completely unacceptable. Now before everyone tells me there is a stat in January, I know that but it is the first day and then there is this long drought.
2. It is cold, dark and wet. This January has also been very snowy. We still have freaking snow out here from the big dump in December. Plus we got some more for good measure.
3. The days are very short. I spend far too much time driving in the dark and the rain. Anyone who battles the MaryHill Bypass every day will know what I am talking about.
4. January is one long-ass month. It seems to go on and on and on. This one was not so bad given that I was very busy but I usually spend most of January wishing the time would go by faster.
5. Our backyard is usually a swamp and our septic system reeks because there is no where for the water to go. This year has not been so bad as the swamp has been frozen.
6. The pug hates the rain. I usually spend way too much time trying to get her to pee. Thankfully, she is now sleeping with someone else and I don’t have to stand outside in the rain with her for long periods right now.
7. Another reason to hate January is that I am cold all the time. I have to layer and bundle up and that gets obnoxious. I am wearing wool socks and insulated shoes and my feet are still cold some times.
It is still winter here on the wet coast in February but hope is on the horizon. By the end of the month, the crocuses will be blooming. Then it will be March and things will start to get a little warmer and a little drier and then the cherry blossoms come…aaahh, the cherry blossoms, my favourite time of year!