No curry series would be complete without the butter chicken recipe. A couple of things about this recipe.
- It takes 5 hours to make this. 3 hours just to cook the onions properly.
- After you put the tomato paste in make sure you cook it until the oil separates – this will make sense when you see it.
- Use butter if you want softer onions
5 onions – large – diced
1 cup of oil, ghee or margarine
5 tomatoes – large
½ cup of pureed garlic
½ cup of pureed ginger
1 tsp of tumeric
1 tsp of garam masala
¼ tsp of cayenne (optional)
1 small can tomato paste
1 litre of whipping cream
- cook the onions on a low heat in the oil until they are translucent. It is important that this is done slowly. It should take at least an hour if not longer. Stir often.
- add the pureed ginger and garlic and cook for 20 minutes or so with the onions. It should start to form a paste.
- add tumeric, cayenne (you can also use pureed jalapeno) and garam masala – cook for 20 minutes or so
- add tomato paste – cook until the entire mixture is a ruddy brown and the oil starts to separate from the paste. This step is very important or the tomato paste will not be mixed in well enough.
- puree the 5 tomatoes and add to mixture.
- run the sauce through a blender to liquify.
- return the sauce to the pan and add the whipping cream
- add raw chicken to sauce. Cook on low temp until chicken is cooked – about an hour