How to Decide

We are faced with having to make some decisions about Gemma Joy. I have blogged about her before. She has cancer that has metastasized to her lungs and brain. Since the cancer has entered her brain it has materialized as some aggressive behaviour and biting at the air. Initially she only bit the air in the evenings. It seemed like it happened when she was tired. Now she is biting at the air for the better part of the day. The air biting is actually a seizure. The other issue with cancer is dogs and ultimately quality of life.

Right now we are faced with the prospect that Gemma is seizing all day. We have no idea if she is confused by the seizing. She seems to be aware of what is going on around her. She seems happy to see people and she eats most of the time. She really enjoys her cuddles and spending time with us. The other serious issue is that she and Zoe cannot be together. Zoe really ramps her up when she barks and Gemma has figured out how to climb the gate in the living room which is a big risk as she will go after Zoe. She is also not safe with Sawyer which is another concern. The problem with the aggression is the isolation that results for Gemma. It is very difficult to manage this situation.

Our plan is to get in touch with the vet. I will call tomorrow and let them know about the increasing air biting. We want to understand how this is impacting her quality of life. We also need to know if she is in pain. She is on metacam for pain right now. The answers we get will dictate our next steps.

It is an incredibly hard decision to make. We do not want to keep her alive if she is in pain and has no quality of life. Conversely, we do not want to euthanize her if she is still enjoying life. Hopefully our vet will help us to navigate this difficult situation.

Published in: on March 19, 2010 at 9:14 pm  Comments (2)